This Line Hurts
I hate to see a line like this on my team;
Beckenlehner, Karl    10  13  .435  2.52

Really shows you how horrible my offense has been this year. Two everyday starters under .200 and another one at like .215 or so...smh
"I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
- Carl Yastrzemski

I made the playoffs once...
For me its JR Richard, 6-14 2.14.

I was curious so just checked, current league batting avg is 0.238 while the current ERA is 3.28.
Pitching really really dominant, maybe I should manfred up the ball a bit this offseason.
(07-19-2019, 11:25 AM)havana Wrote: For me its JR Richard, 6-14 2.14.

I was curious so just checked, current league batting avg is 0.238 while the current ERA is 3.28.
Pitching really really dominant, maybe I should manfred up the ball a bit this offseason.

the one problem about manfredding it up though is that instead of lifting the floor of offensive performance, pretty much everyone gets boosted.  so we'd get Ryan Watkins types hitting 90 HRs in a given season.. so maybe that's not the solution.  Time to run some experiments.

one thing i have thought about is whether changing the pitching caps would have an effect.  hitters are pretty limited in terms of the tools, basically just CH/PH/SP while pitchers have a whole slew of ratings you can mod.  When boosting potentials, what if pitchers only had pitch ratings go up to the 80s as opposed to the 90s using our current algorithm?  Then you still get solid guys but not as many with just unhittable stuff.
(07-19-2019, 11:34 AM)havana Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 11:25 AM)havana Wrote: For me its JR Richard, 6-14 2.14.

the one problem about manfredding it up though is that instead of lifting the floor of offensive performance, pretty much everyone gets boosted.  so we'd get Ryan Watkins types hitting 90 HRs in a given season.. so maybe that's not the solution.  Time to run some experiments.

one thing i have thought about is whether changing the pitching caps would have an effect.  hitters are pretty limited in terms of the tools, basically just CH/PH/SP while pitchers have a whole slew of ratings you can mod.  When boosting potentials, what if pitchers only had pitch ratings go up to the 80s as opposed to the 90s using our current algorithm?  Then you still get solid guys but not as many with just unhittable stuff.

New guy here, but for clarification: would there be a few with caps in the 90s who would be considered the "super aces"? Or would 90s in pitch ratings only be possible with all-timers or the like?
[Image: 0GzHqpg.jpg]
Rio de Janeiro Capybaras
Working on getting back to winning!
The current potentials boosting algorithm we use is to keep increasing potentials in 5% increments until we get at least one guy that's 90+, and a handful (2-3) in the 80+ region.  This is done for each skill (CH/PH/SP/AS, defensive positions, AS/EN/CO/HR/each pitch).  Without it, the CPU potentials tend to be in the 50s-60s max for hitters, even a #1 overall type guy.  Not sure what the range is for pitchers but suspect its the same.

20 years ago when the game came out, the real MLB hitters had a smattering of ratings in the 70s-90s, but the CPU generated players never topped out over 50-60.  We all got used to the grade inflation (along with the fact that ATs were typically 80-90 type guys)...  So to get around that, we came up with the boosting algorithm mentioned above to guarantee that there would be strong players for each skill.

Now whether one guy happens to have ALL the skills, or whether lots of guys are clustered (eg by boosting 1 to 90+, you end up boosting a LOT to 80+), well that's a year to year thing that varies on the random number generation algorithms in the game.
(07-19-2019, 02:27 PM)havana Wrote: The current potentials boosting algorithm we use is to keep increasing potentials in 5% increments until we get at least one guy that's 90+, and a handful (2-3) in the 80+ region.  This is done for each skill (CH/PH/SP/AS, defensive positions, AS/EN/CO/HR/each pitch).  Without it, the CPU potentials tend to be in the 50s-60s max for hitters, even a #1 overall type guy.  Not sure what the range is for pitchers but suspect its the same.

20 years ago when the game came out, the real MLB hitters had a smattering of ratings in the 70s-90s, but the CPU generated players never topped out over 50-60.  We all got used to the grade inflation (along with the fact that ATs were typically 80-90 type guys)...  So to get around that, we came up with the boosting algorithm mentioned above to guarantee that there would be strong players for each skill.

Now whether one guy happens to have ALL the skills, or whether lots of guys are clustered (eg by boosting 1 to 90+, you end up boosting a LOT to 80+), well that's a year to year thing that varies on the random number generation algorithms in the game.

So it's a matter of tweaking an underlying stat...that's cool!
[Image: 0GzHqpg.jpg]
Rio de Janeiro Capybaras
Working on getting back to winning!